Thursday, July 30, 2009

Article on transgender model in Korea...

First, the Chosun Ilbo (of all sources) has an article on a transgender women named Choi Han-bit. Choi Han-bit is the first transgender woman to compete in the Super Model Contest.

a telephone interview with the Chosun Ilbo on Wednesday, she said, "I dreamt of becoming a model from when I was very young. The message on the screen of my cell phone reads, 'I am a model,' and after the operation I started preparing to become one. I thought it was a dream that could never come true, but I'm very happy about where I stand at the moment."

Her biggest supporters have been her parents. When Choi decided to undergo gender reassignment surgery, they encouraged her, saying it is better to live with confidence than to hide from your nature and end up with regrets. "When I called my parents after the contest, they told me I did very well but I should stay humble as bigger obstacles are yet to come," she said.


Good luck Choi Han-bit! Miss Choi is not the first transgender woman to make major pop media news, Harisu of course came out in 2001 and has always been very open about her past.

No comments:

Post a Comment